Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Living With Less Thesis

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls of All Ages...

I've finally devised a thesis/hypothesis for this experiment. It only took 100 million trips between an apartment and a car and a car and a house or new apartment or a charity drop off, complete with steps and screen doors and locks and keys, but I got it.

Thesis:
1. I will be fully moved into my new residence by July 1, 2008.
2. I will maintain a residence wherein I only own what I use.

Qualifications:
1. "Fully moved" is defined as: no boxes of unpacked stuff in my residence or in The Price's playroom (excluding memorabilia because that stuff is does not qualify as "unpacked".)
2. "Use" is defined as: active use, not a dust collector or an albatross tying me to another time in my life. The item must have a positive purpose in my life TODAY.
3. I will display all items, including collections and memorabilia.
4. Memorabilia (photos, choir programs, etc.) will be scrapbooked by Dec 31, 2008.

Motto:
I'm only one person. How much stuff do I really need?

Strategy:
1. Yard sale what I can.
2. Give away what I can't.
3. Eat less. Shop less. Consume less.
4. Own items that can be used for multiple purposes.
5. Use my closets for active storage, not fancy dumping grounds.
6. If I'm keeping it, it doesn't live in a box.

Official end date of this experiment:
June 1, 2009.

While I fully plan to live this way for the rest of my life, the intensity with which I will live these next 12 months is different. I'm in the process of changing significant attitudes, behaviors, and habits. I'm moving out of a consumer-based mindset, and that is going to take 12 months of rigorous activity and focus.

May the Force be with you. And me, too.
mg

No comments: