Tuesday, April 29, 2008

You CAN take it with you!

Tonight I finished packing my upstairs bookshelves. I'd hoped to finish all my books this past weekend, but the emotion of packing, moving, and the Great Unknown preoccupied me. I nearly didn't pack tonight, but if I don't stay on top of this process, it will eat me alive. After some meditation and prayer time, I got out of bed and started packing books. But this time, I didn't think about it. I just packed.

I was done much faster than I'd expected, and I actually felt relieved when the last book went in its temporary housing. I have other nooks and crannies wherein I've tucked books, and I have the few stacks downstairs, but the bulk of my books are packed. I didn't over-think it. I didn't cry over it. I just packed what I had already sorted.

And that's today's lesson.

Go ahead. Keep them. You CAN take them with you, and if you don't need them when you arrive at the new place, purge them then. And if you do have space, and you still want them, well then, no regrets and no replacing.

Remember, this isn't about living on less, but living WITH less. It's about consciously choosing each item in my home. And I love books!

1 comment:

Janine said...

SO far, so good. I look forward to seeing what comes of this project!